Do you know that everyone can easily get Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)? No matter what gender and how old are you, you have the high probability to have it if you do not how to avoid it. Gastroesophageal reflux is the type of chronic digestive disease that occurs to everyone when stomach acid or stomach content flows back into your food pipe (esophagus). When this happens often, the lining of your esophagus can irritate easily because of the backwash (reflux) that causes GERD. Most people can avoid this disease by changing the lifestyle while sometimes people with GERD may need strong medication or even surgery to reduce symptoms.
If you got this disease, you do not have to worry, because GERD can be prevented with the right treatment. Here are some things that you should follow to avoid or prevent GERD:
- Lose weight. Obesity is one of the major problems that cause GERD, people with obesity tend to have to multiply that who are not. If you are overweight, you should slowly change your eating habit to reduce fatty acid in your body that causes GERD. This may the hardest thing to do for some people, but this is the best way to prevent GERD.
- Avoid food that causes Reflux. What you eat determine your disease, and even GERD is caused by the food you eat. These are food you should avoid :
- Fatty food (Fatty food usually contain fatty acids like fried food, food contained high sugar, and much more
- Spicy food. You should avoid eating spicy food because this type of food can irritate your reflux.
- Acid foods. Acidic food also causes GERD like tomatoes and citrus.
- Chocolate. If you are chocolate addict, you should think twice to eat your favorite food if you have GERD.
- Onions. Onions ring sound legit, right? But if you experience GERD you should avoid eating onion too much.
- Coffee and a caffeinated beverage.
- Carbonated beverage
- Eat smaller meals. If you eat large meals, you put pressure on your LES that makes reflux that causes GERD.
- Do not lie down after eating. Many people do not know that lying down after eating could be dangerous for them because gravity can help acid reflux from developing, and when you lying down, you are taking gravity out of the equation.
- Elevate your bed. You can raise your bed head six to eigh inches to help you to gain gravity in your body while you are sleeping to avoid the developing of reflux.
- Quit smoking. If you are a smoker, you should probably stop your bad habit slowly, because smoking can cause reflux.
- Avoid alcohol. Some people find it hard to quit from drinking alcohol, but this can cause esophageal muscles to spasm.
- Wear lose fitting clothes. Do not wear thight cloting or belts that can constrict your stomach.
- Try to avoid gluten. The protein found in food in grains like wheat and rye can cause exacerbate GERD symptoms. It means that you should decrease gluten to prevent GERD developing.
GERD may differ from each people, some people are fine with drinking a cup of coffee a day, while the other makes their stomach uncomfortable after drinking coffee. It’s back to you, you should know your body well, try above tips and if they do not work for you, discuss with your doctor for further treatment.are you ready to prevent GERD?